The checklist to swear by for your cycling expedition to Leh and Spiti valley !
Updated: Mar 8, 2019
Since you have all been constantly filling up my inbox asking for tips to pack for your upcoming adventures, well I thought let's bless you with a full-packed list of the most important things to carry along!
The road to heaven is not yet accessible but I already see plenty of people ready to leave for their cycle tours to northern India. Unfortunately this year's snowfall was way less than we expected which is the obvious reason to an early start to the season.
The culture of Bicycle touring has significantly made it's way into our country, I gladly witnessed the increasing number. Hopefully this would lead to avid brands with bike-packing and bike-touring related products to open streams in the Indian market soon.
If you're planning to tour Spiti valley or Leh this season and confused how to pack and have several questions in mind regarding what goes where! Don't worry we have got you covered!
[ you need to know that both bike-packing and bike-touring are two different terms. ]
Here's the checklist for your next escape! First things first...
1. THE BICYCLE -
Preferably a Touring bike or a Hardtail. I wouldn't recommend a Road bike because you're surely going to tackle a lot of bad road conditions and most importantly there are less mounting option on a Road bike.
2. BIKE LUGGAGE RACKS -
You could buy a set of Rear & Front Racks from a good bike shop or online from Happy Earth Store or Starkennbikes .
3. BAGS & PANNIERS -
All your belongings will go in the panniers to keep them safe and dry during all times especially bad weather.
We use MSX products considering their best in class quality and durability. However the other option could be Ortlieb and ViaTerra panniers.
THE PACKING LIST
1. Down jacket (x1) 2. Rain jacket - trouser (x1) 3. Thermal layer (x1) 4. Bike shorts (x2) 5. Hiking shirts or T-shirts (x2)
6. Hiking trouser and shorts (x1) 7. Briefs (x2) 8. Pair of warm socks (x2) 9. Water resistant - windproof gloves (x1)
10. Cycling gloves (x1)
11. Hiking low ankle shoes (x1)
12. Hiking cap (x1)
13. Bandana (x1)
14. Pair of sandals (x1)
15. Biking glasses
1. Down sleeping bag
2. 1P tent or tarp (Not required in Manali - Leh)
4. Ground sheet to protect you from condensation and punctures
BIKE REPAIR KIT
1. Tube (x2) or extra sealent if tubeless.
2. Multitool with size 8 allen key for pedal.
3. Chain tool with extra chain links
4. Chain lube (wet or dry)
5. Extra spokes and brake cable
6. Zip ties or Voile straps
7. Extra bolts for racks, bottle cage
8. Compact pump
9. Puncture kit
10. Spare batteries and cables
1. Camera and its spare batteris
2. Charger of all your devices
3. Laptop or tablet for backup
4. Phone with BSNL postpaid sim
5. Dry bag or pouch to protect essentials from rain
6. Whistle and firestone
7. Headlight or bike lights
9. First Aid kit
10. Portable utensils (Knife etc)
11. Tripod or gorrilapod
[ BONUS ]
1. Nuts (Almonds, Fig, Flax seeds, Chia seeds)
2. Peanut butter3. Oats
4. Homemade granola bars or chikki
5. Protein supplement
With our bikes packed, Let's take a pledge to "LEAVE NO TRACE" to enjoy our natural world in a sustainable way that avoids human-created impacts.
Good vibes and more power to you on your tour :)
Thats all folks!